Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Angels singing above

Yesterday evening I was sitting at my desk, writing out checks and enjoying the aroma of chicken and noodles that were cooking upstairs. Soon something not so usual occurred. I heard angelic voices being raised in song. The sweet sounds uplifted my spirits at the end of this day. After a song or two the singing stopped. But the voices didn't they just went into a fast kind of twittering conversation, interspersed with giggles and laughter. Then the wonderful, delightful singing resumed, and the joy swelled in my heart, once again! This cycle went on for several times, and then stopped. I heard the door upstairs open and close. I went upstairs to find my wife cooking dinner in the kitchen. Gaby and several friends were sitting in the great room talking.
Now I understood the enchanting sounds that I heard. Gaby and eight friends were practicing for their ensemble performance for Bothell High School.
In my life I have experienced many things. I have received hundreds of trophies for driving my sports car fast, have made exciting business deals, have traveled to distant lands, have done things that are unspeakable. But nothing compares to the feeling and sense of peace and joy that I was given yesterday evening. I am so glad that I decided to marry and have children. I must thank the Lord for bearing with me for decades. He makes it all worthwhile in those special moments.

No comments: