Tuesday, October 6, 2009

SE Spokane County Fair

Sept 25, 26, and 27 were a Friday, Saturday and Sunday this year. They were warm and Sunny. Perfect weather for a small county fair. Actually Spokane County is not a small county, but this fair is a small affair. Most of the participants were from Rockford and Fairfield, two very small towns. Spokane is only about 25 miles away and has an overly large fair. It is as though the local people wanted to keep a small town feel and a small town fair. The small town atmosphere that may be almost lost in our world of fast cars, instant messaging and on demand cell phones. My cell phone and most other carriers phones quit working about a mile and a half out of town as we dropped down into the valley that houses Rockford.

About four weeks prior to the fair, my heart was burdened to tell people about walking with God. As I looked for venues where I could get peoples attention, many required much money or had a long lead time to reserve a spot. Then I came across the SE Spokane County Fair. I went for it. The booth organizer, Charlie Salt alloted us a 10' by 10' space in the show. But we did not have a canopy that we needed. Kimberly mentioned our need on a Facebook post. Sangeeta, a friend of ours, and of a different religion, offered her brand new canopy. Thank you Lord for people with generous hearts. Thank you, Sangeeta for allowing your heart to be generous.

Thursday evening was the set-up time. After setting up the canopy, I set up a tent for sleeping in near the barns. I am afraid that I am not a country boy. It seems that one of the show cows mooed all night long. It was a tough time sleeping. But the first day of the show was worth a poor nights sleep. The presentation was titled, "From Tragedy to Triumph." I told about our RV burning and how that was a tragedy, but it was turned into a triumph. I then told a little about our book, "Stories of a Salvation." Many people bought copies of the book. Some saw the title, scoffed and walked away. Others, said that they did not want to read the book, but thanked me for the stories that I told on the spot. That night I went to Spokane and rented a motel room. The next day was much the same as Friday, except I was able to pray with some people, too.

One interesting encounter, that has kept me praying and meditating on God's Word, occurred on the way to the restroom on Saturday. I stopped at a table where the people were trying to get others to sign a petition. It turns out that the two men were Gay. One of them told me that he is a Christian and that he has been rejected from churches. But that he believes that God loves him as he loves God. He pointed out that Jesus never condemned homosexuality. Later, a couple came by my booth and told me how they hated homosexuals. Their words were not kind words. I have been pondering how God loves all and sent His Son to the cross that ALL might be saved. He loves both the hater and the hated.

Maybe I am sensitive to those who are rejected because I remember a time when I went to a church and no one sat in the same pew that I did, even though every other pew was full, and no one even said, "Hi" to me. Jesus loved me even then, even though I had very long hair and was wearing an old army jacket that a friend had given me on a cold night in Southern California.

Sunday morning there was a worship service on the grounds. They sang the old hymns, and a lot of them. It was an anointed time of worship. Gods presence was there. Two Gay guys were singing on stage in the choir, and yet I could feel the blessing of God on the song service.

I feel that I must post his part and work on a post about my meditations on the Fair in Light of the Word.


Spread the Love!


No comments: